Wednesday 1 August 2012

Goodbye, Phir Milenge (We Will Meet Again)...


Yesterday was an informal day with the children, we spent time bonding, and reflecting on my experience, I said my goodbyes to my junior class, and also met Millie from my English conversation class. When I asked Millie what she learned from me, she replied 'sincerity'.

Today (01/08/12) was my final day with Parichay. As planned, I took the seniors to the Akshardham Temple. Amar and Kailash (both brothers) were not able to come as they had to complete their school admissions. Before setting off, the girls tied rakhis on my wrist and I said my goodbyes to Kailash and Amar, and handed them each letters which I had written for them. Kailash was in tears, and would not let go of my hand. After arriving back from Akshardham, I said my goodbyes to the children, along with more tears from Raju, at this point Amar had also joined us. I reminded Raju that I have videos of him dancing in my camera, and I will watch them to remind me of him. After I and Vijay set off in the car to leave, some few minutes later Vijay received a call from Raju asking us to stop the car and wait. Kailash then turned up running with an envelope for me, which I shall open my flight back to London.
Despite the formality of my writing style, my internship exceeded learning about the functioning of this fantastic NGO. I never expected that I would feel such an immense bond with the children at Parichay, and I have never experienced such unconditional love in such a short space of time. My experience at Parichay has changed a lot in my life, my thinking, my attitudes, and I have received the most precious gift that will stay with me until the grave - a second family. This experience has been life-changing and one I shall never forget. The thought of never seeing these children again is incomprehensible for me, and returning is a promise that will be fulfilled.

For this amazing experience I have to extend my heart-felt gratitude to Vijay Bajpai. Without him, the children at Parichay would not have developed in to such wonderful, intelligent, articulate, forward-thinking and loving children you could ever find in this world.
Then there are Geeta and Rupa whose hard work in the unit really helps keep the project in motion. Millie, Ambika and Preeti (along with Rupa) who attended my English discussion class. Khushboo, Sameer, Azhar, Pinki (Choti Shaitan/Little Satan), Rukhsar and all the children from my junior class. Rohit, Mansi, Akash and all the children in the special children's unit. And my seniors:-
Kailash
Amar
Raju
Yaseen
Monu
Sunny
Vicky
Moni
Soni
Deepika
Rumee
Zeenat

No comments:

Post a Comment