Monday 18 June 2012

Introduction

A few months back a fellow post-Hindi student from Thailand forwarded me an e-mail from University with a unique opportunity - interning on AID India's program in India. After some natural reluctance at such a daunting idea, I decided to apply. India sees kinds of poverty which are vastly different from poverty in Britain, and therefore I knew the experience would be worthwhile and time well spent. After perfecting my application and passing through the telephone interview stages, I was elated when I found out I had obtained a 5 week placement with Parichay Abhigyan Society (परिचय अभिज्ञान सोसाइटी, meaning 'The Society for the Introduction of Knowledge'), an NGO which promotes, above all, self-sustenance.

After spending less than 24 hours in Delhi and learning about Parichay's operations from it's founder - Vijay Bajpai, I am determined to make as much impact as possible during my time in Tukmirpur (where the project is located in East Delhi). In spite of the heat and the regular power cuts, I am already warming to the charms of Delhi, and I relish the experience of Delhi to come - through and with the children that study at Parichay's project site, and the Women that prepare their handicrafts and spices in the Women's Unit.

Parichay is a multi-faceted organisation which helps with the education and health from children from low-economic backgrounds (such as offspring of Rickshaw Pullers), it provides women from these communities with the tools to grow both in terms of confidence and financially through it's handicraft & spices program. It also assists with the education of children with learning difficulties and educates the wider public about various conditions (physical and mental). To learn more about Parichay's work, see:- http://parichayonline.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment